By Julie Petersen
National Honor Society is a national organization whose purpose is to recognize high school students who have been exemplary in service, scholarship, leadership and character while attending Fairbury Senior High School. Only sophomores, juniors, and seniors with a cumulative grade point average of 3.3 or higher will be eligible for membership. Students meeting this academic benchmark will be notified by the school of their eligibility to petition for membership in the Fairbury High School chapter of the National Honor Society. Once selected, students must continue to meet the membership criteria as noted by the Fairbury National Honor Society Constitution and Bylaws in the areas of service, scholarship, leadership and character or their membership may be revoked.
NHS Selection Procedure
Students are selected to join NHS on the basis of character, service, leadership, and scholastics.
- Each student who is at least a sophomore and has a scholastic cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher after the spring semester of their freshman year will be given the opportunity to be considered for membership.
- The student is then required to complete the activity information sheet and return it with the appropriate signatures to the sponsor by the deadline stated.
- All forms received by the deadline will be considered for membership. Returning an activity information sheet does NOT guarantee membership.
- Once all activity information sheets are received, copies are made and placed in the individual faculty mailboxes for each teacher to provide input based on their experience with the student. Students will be rated in the following categories: leadership, character, and service. Scholarship is not considered once the minimum GPA criterion has been met. The rating will be on a scale ranging from 1 to 4, with 1 being the lowest and 4 being the highest rating possible. Ratings of 1 or 2 should be accompanied by clarifying comments.
- The NHS sponsor will tally the ratings provided by the faculty and those ratings along with any comments will be provided to the five member faculty council for consideration in the deliberation process.
- The five member faculty council will vote on membership after reviewing the information from the student activity information forms and faculty rating forms. Students receiving three or more votes for membership from the faculty council will be admitted to the Fairbury High School Chapter of National Honor Society.
- The identity of the five members of faculty council will remain anonymous to protect the integrity of the selection process.
For additional information regarding the Fairbury Chapter of the National Honor Society or for a copy of our constitution and bylaws, please contact the advisor, Julie Petersen at 729-6116 ext. 1210.